If ever you want to improve your smile – make the shape and color of the teeth even or align your slightly crooked teeth – porcelain veneers may be the solution. Porcelain veneers are wafer-thin, tooth-colored shells that are permanently cemented indirectly to the front of the natural teeth.
Whenever you’re ready to get that
perfect smile fit for you, make sure you read this first!
What are veneers?
Veneers, are wafer-thin, tooth-colored shells that are permanently cemented indirectly to the front of the natural teeth. They are mainly applied to cover any imperfections such as discolored, misshapen, chipped and gapped teeth. Porcelain veneers are thin shells of porcelain that are attached individually to the outer surface of each tooth. Getting them usually takes 2 to 3 visits for 10 – 15 days to a dental clinic in Manila.
What happens during the treatment?
Basically, the procedure for applying porcelain veneers takes about 3-4 appointments depending on the case – for each case is unique and specified for different patients.
- Diagnosis and planning – During the first appointment, the dentist will sit down with the patient and discuss his/her concerns with the aid of a panoramic x-ray, dental photographs and dental check-up. The patient will then be advised with different treatment plan options specifically fit for him/her. The dentist will take a bite analysis which helps the dentist examine your teeth even when you’re away from the clinic.
The dentist will also take an impression of the natural teeth and fabricate a temporary veneer for you to test drive your new smile before you to commit to start with the procedure. Temporary veneers can still be adjusted based on your age, face shape, personality, and gender.
- Tooth trimming – Before proceeding with the tooth preparation for the veneers, the patient must first comply to remove any source of bacteria in the mouth including tooth decay, periodontal disease, and any other infection that may cause failure to the veneers.
The patient’s teeth will be numbed with anesthesia to provide comfort during tooth trimming. The dentist will minimally trim the teeth to provide space for the bonding of the veneers.
- Teeth impression and temporary veneers – Once the teeth are trimmed, the dentist will take an impression or mold of the upper and lower teeth that will be sent to the dental laboratory for the fabrication of the porcelain veneers. Each veneer is hand-crafted by a master ceramist which will specifically match the patient’s natural tooth color, face shape, skin tone and patient’s preference.
Creating the veneers can take several days to be finished. While waiting for the master ceramist to craft your veneers, the dentist will then fit the patient with temporary veneers to provide protection on his/her exposed teeth from the trimming.
- Veneers fitting – Once the porcelain veneers are ready, each veneer will be carefully fitted on the teeth and checked for any necessary adjustments.
- Veneers Bonding – When necessary adjustments have been made, the porcelain veneers are permanently cemented on the teeth and polished afterwards.
Another impression or mold of the teeth will be taken for the fabrication of mouth guards which the patient will wear every night to protect his/her veneers.
- Regular check-ups – The patient will be required to comply with regular check-ups every 6 months to maintain the health and condition of the oral health and veneers.
What’s the difference between composite veneers and porcelain veneers?
- Lower cost
- Shorter application process
- Great aesthetic results – can cover up misshapen teeth, discolorations, fluorosis (mild to moderate), and other defects
- Material is weaker
- Can chip off more often
- Needs to be replaced every 3 years, depending on the patient’s oral care
- Outstanding aesthetics –
very natural looking
- Hand-made by a master
- Can fix darker stained
- Can aligned slightly
- Stronger and lasts
longer than composite veneers
- High cost
What dental problems can veneers fix?
Veneers are suitable for addressing the following:
- Uneven or misshapen teeth – Dental veneers can achieve a uniformed size and appearance of the teeth, eliminating too narrow, too small or odd-shaped teeth.
- Chipped or broken teeth – Veneers can cover chips and cracks that have developed on the teeth overtime, as well as protect the natural teeth from further damage.
- Teeth stains – Similarly, veneers can cover stubborn stains that can’t be easily removed by brushing or whitening, and prevent further stains.
- Visible gaps between teeth – Veneers can be used to cover noticeable spaces that looks unaesthetically pleasing between the teeth.
- Tooth sensitivity – Dental veneers add another layer to the teeth, making them stronger and avoiding pain and discomforts caused by tooth sensitivity.
- Crooked teeth – In some cases, braces aren’t necessary to correct misaligned teeth. Instead, veneers can be used to make slightly crooked teeth appear aligned instantly.
How to take care of your veneers?
Porcelain veneers are durable and can last for up to 15 years with proper care. Below are some tips on how to care for dental veneers.
- Maintain good oral hygiene. This includes brushing the teeth at least twice a day and flossing.
- Chew gently. While veneers are made to be durable, excessive chewing of hard food or other materials can damage them.
- Avoid grinding and clenching. These put a lot of stress on veneers resulting in severe damage to the porcelain.
- Pay attention to stain. While most porcelain veneers are stain-resistant, the adhesive substance that merges them to the teeth is not. Limit the consumption of coffee, sodas, red wine and other food and liquids that can leave a stain.
- Quit smoking. Smoking can also cause discoloration of the veneers.
- Attend regular dental check-ups. Make sure to visit the dentist every six months to keep veneers in good condition. This can also prevent potential damages if spotted early.
Cillo Smile Design is the best dental clinic in the Philippines offering affordable and high-quality dental veneers and other cosmetic dentistry services. For more information, call +632 7729 6674.